~Cozy Customs~

Favorites recipes, family traditions, holiday or vacation fun!

Monday, December 7, 2009



Author Interview - Charlotte Holt

What made you want to write the book Praise the Lord for Roaches?
I wanted to give glory to God for what He had done in my life. As the song goes, He took my life, turned it around, and set my feet on solid ground. I wanted to encourage others in the faith, let them see what He can do in a life undone. I wanted to give hope to those who had problems, those who faced storms in their own lives. I wanted to make a difference in other’s lives. And I wanted to tell my story of what God did with the bad circumstances and turned them for good. How He turned everything for my good and His glory.
How hard was it to write about the tragedies of your life?
Some things were very hard to write. Yet, the telling of them and putting them in print brought about a healing in my spirit. As I wrote, many times I cried. Sometimes the pain laid heavy on my heart, but God bound up my broken heart and washed away much of the sadness. I also realized He had set me free from some of the bondage I had encountered in my life. The end result was so therapeutic. Recounting the deaths of my two sons brought pain, but also healing and courage to face another day with my Savior.
Where did you come up with the title?
My husband is an exterminator. Before we ever met, God had me praising the Lord for Roaches. The first time they disappeared, and the second time God sent me Charles. So, of course, I’m still praising the Lord for Roaches. Several years before I wrote the book, I told him, “Someday, I’m going to write my life’s story, and I’m going to name it Praise the Lord for Roaches!” When the time came to write the book, I knew I had to call it by that name. It fit.
What has been the greatest reward from writing?
I would have to say getting God’s message of love, grace, and mercy out to others. However, I have found many rewards. Feeling God’s pleasure when I write almost takes my breath away. The network of Christian authors I’ve encountered has been awesome. I’ve traveled to conferences and met authors, publishers, editors, and agents. The whole experience has been something I will always treasure. The precious friends I’ve made in my writer’s groups and critique groups bring joy to my life. God has opened doors and taken me places I would never have dreamed I’d go. I’ve had the opportunity to speak at churches and other groups, something I’ve dearly loved. God has given me boldness I don’t even understand myself.
What other things are you working on?
I’ve completed several other books, both fiction and nonfiction. The one I’m working on at present is a fiction set in the ‘80’s I call Ransomed and Redeemed. The story is a sequel to another, Rescued, set in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s of a young woman as she tries to overcome abuse and a low self-esteem and find her Charming Prince to rescue her. She finds only heartache until she discovers her true rescuer.

No comments:

Post a Comment