Writer Nancy Sonneman
This happened nearly 50 years ago. I was about 8 and the little girl in the apartment above us was 7. Her father went to the neighborhood grocery and brought us each a chocolate Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in silver foil. I ate mine right away, but my friend decided that it would look pretty as an ornament , especially if the lights were shining on it. She attached yarn to it and hung it over a yellow light. In those days, the lights got hot. The longer they were on, the hotter they got. (It was a fire hazard so these lights were eventually replaced with ones that didn’t get hot.) As my friend and her parents were sitting in the living room that evening, they heard “drip, drip, drip”, coming from the Christmas tree. Her mother went over to investigate. The candy had melted and was running down one side of the tree and dripping into the water that the tree was standing in. The lights beneath were completely ruined. My friend cried because she couldn’t eat the candy after all—and they had the world’s first chocolate Christmas tree!
Hard at work on her first romantic suspense novel, Miss Sonneman lives in OH. She is handicapped and lives with her Mother. Her other interests include Bible reading and study, ceramics, embroidery, and all kinds of puzzles.